Wednesday, November 26, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME...

It is not actually my brithday, but today is the 1st anniversary of my first of 2 back surgeries...tomorrow is the 1st anniversary of my 2nd back surgery. And this is a picture of Colleen visiting me in the hospital on day 6 of my stay: I smelled bad, but she got close anyway (she loves me).
It was the Monday and Tuesday after Thanksgiving last year, and it was the scariest thing I'd ever done, but also my only choice...I could not live my life like that. And I had 100% confidence in my surgeon, Dr. Thomas Hopkins in Encino (yes, this is my plug for him).
Since those days 1 year ago I:
  • went on a family cruise (this was a hoot)
  • received final divorce papers (OMG...how fabulous)
  • started walking
  • was diagnosed with melanoma
  • had surgery and got all of the cancer removed
  • visit the dermatologist and oncologist every 3 months
  • walked a marathon (26.2 miles)
  • raised $4100.00 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
  • lost 33 lbs
  • am mentoring new Team in Training participants, and am preparing for many half and full marathon events
  • have a boss who rocks/ have a sis-in-law who is really a sis
  • have a family others would LOVE to have (and they share well)
My life is so blessed. I hope you and your family have the blessing of time together this holiday season... and if it isn't the family you're born into, I hope it's the family you've created.
Love, hugs and Happy Thanksgiving to all,
S

2 comments:

Melissa :) said...

Glad to hear all is well. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

Lisa Spiegel said...

Happy Birthday! I think this calls for a Venti Lemon Drop! When are you free???