Tuesday, May 6, 2008

ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO...SHARE:

First: Saw the surgeon yesterday. The PET scan showed that this melanoma had not spread. It did show I have a cyst in an ovary (nothing to worry about) and a few spots the Oncologist wants to peek at, but overall a very good scan! The surgeon will hack into my thigh on May 22nd (in-office procedure) and remove a chunk slightly smaller than Delaware. He will suture it and bandage it and I can't shower the next day (which is no big whoop since after back surgery I couldn't shower for 2 weeks)! And I'm sure walking will be a bit uncomfortable for a little while, so my walking buddies will tease me. By the way: my idiot son is disheartened...he wanted my leg amputated so he could call me Stumpy. Too bad, so sad!

Second: No, I haven't taken ownership of this cancer alien. Freaked out and concerned and sometimes scared, but no ownership! Clearly making some changes (bought a hat in SF and start my day with sunblock), and changing my walking attire (no more tank tops), but this alien will absolutely NOT survive IN me!

Third: Today my sweet little cousin Rachel had the same surgery I had in November. This is my shout out with wishes for a slow but steady recovery! Take the drugs if you're sore and give in to your body! Call me day or night with your questions and concerns. Love to you and the family!

Next: San Francisco should be illegal! No one should be allowed to have THAT MUCH FUN!!! We stayed at a little hotel (toilets, sinks and showers down the hall) in North Beach. We drank Irish Coffees at Buena Vista; ate chowder in bread bowls at Boudin, and walked and walked and walked! I am of the belief that wheeled transportation in SF is for weenies! We bought our lunch picnic at the farmer's market in front of the Ferry Bldg on Sat morning, and wandered everywhere, and ate our lunch under the dome by the Nordstrom in Union Square! We bought truffles at my cousin Dua's fav truffle shop in North Beach (XOX), and Ba had to see Ghirardelli Square. I can't wait to go back! OMG!

Finally: My darling friend Wendy had to put her sweet girl Kayla to sleep today. Kayla has been he companion for a very long time, and has been a blessing to all who knew her. Wendy, my arms are around you...I love you and wish you the fondest memories.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, great news!! When your up and walking again, I really want to join you guys. I walked four miles this morning so I might be able to keep up :-)

Di

Juls said...

Glad to hear the good news too. DH had two things removed a few months ago, one from his leg (just above the knee) and one on the back of his neck. After being checked, it came up as not good so they had to do some more digging. It takes longer than you'd like to heal (it's been about 6 or 8 weeks) but other than the antibiotic creme to help it heal and a lot of bandaids, it's all healed now. I'm hoping your procedure is just as simple. Who knows where G got his on his leg either.

Unknown said...

I know you will be OK, you are such a strong woman. I envy you for that, me I'm a big old cry baby. Love you lots!

bucket

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear the good HA back news. I love your fighting spirit my friend and your goodness. When your are back walking, I would love to join you.

big huggzzz,
kari